Comparing Analyses from Herodotus

An analysis I did of a couple of chapters of Herodotus looks like it might be an interesting example to use for various treebanking approaches—both in terms of how things are structured as well as how they are visualised.

read more...

Headed to Germany Next Week

Next week I’m headed to Germany for a whirlwind trip to Göttingen, Heidelberg, and Leipzig to share and discuss ideas with other scholars.

read more...

Handling Morphological Ambiguity

On my now page, I currently list “finalising an improved set of morphology tags to use” under Medium Term. As I find myself sometimes having to clarify the motivation for and state of this, I thought I’d share what I just wrote in the Biblical Humanities Slack.

read more...

An Initial Reboot of Oxlos

In a recent post, Update on LXX Progress, I talked about the possibility of putting together a crowd-sourcing tool to help share the load of clarifying some parse code errors in the CATSS LXX morphological analysis. Last Friday, Patrick Altman and I spent an evening of hacking and built the tool.

read more...

Analysing the Verbs in Nestle 1904

The last couple of weeks, I’ve been working on getting my greek-inflexion code working on Ulrik Sandborg-Petersen’s analysis of the Nestle 1904. The first pass of this is now done.

read more...

Update on LXX Progress

As mentioned in previous posts, I’ve been working through the LXX, initially making sure my greek-inflexion library can generate the same analysis of verbs as the CATSS LXX Morphology and adding to the verb stem database accordingly. This is a preliminary to being able to run the code on alternative LXX editions such as Swete and provide a freely available morphologically-tagged LXX.

read more...

New MorphGNT Releases and Accentuation Analysis

Over the last few weeks, I’ve made a number of new releases of the MorphGNT SBLGNT analysis fixing some accentuation issues mostly in the normalization column. This came out of ongoing work on modelling accentuation (and, in particular, rules around clitics).

read more...

First Pass of MorphGNT Verb Coverage and LXX Beginnings

In greek-inflexion and an Update on the Morphological Lexicon I said that all the verbs in the MorphGNT SBLGNT analysis should be done by the end of the year. I hit that goal and made a decent start on the Septuagint.

read more...

Diacritic Stacking in Skolar PE Fixed

Back in Polytonic Greek Unicode Still Isn’t Perfect and An Updated Solution to Polytonic Greek Unicode’s Problems I talked about problems with stacking vowel length and other diacritics. At least in terms of the font used on this site, the problems are now solved.

read more...

greek-inflexion and an Update on the Morphological Lexicon

Exactly seven months ago, I released a generic library, inflexion, and said I’d soon follow it up with the Greek-specific stuff. While I did open-source the latter on GitHub as greek-inflexion shortly thereafter, I didn’t want to announce it here until it was further along. I’m happy to say it now is.

read more...